Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Return of the Jedi King

Yes, that's right. I'm back. My brother's ex-girlfriend, Jess, gave me her old laptop cord so I'm back in business.

I suppose I should start this post off with an explanation of scary and creepy nighttime occurrences. That's the part that requires the most explanation. The other night, at about 4am, I was settling into bed after a long night of not sleeping. I heard someone coming down the stairs so I did what I always do and played dead (read: pretended to be sleeping). As I had anticipated, whoever it was opened the door, most likely to see if I was breathing.

What I hadn't expected was for the intruder to stand there in the doorway for a good three minutes before moving further into my room. Another three or so minutes passed before Stranger Danger turned tail and retreated back into the hallway. After the door was closed, I waited a while before opening my eyes and using my cell phone's light to look around. I had remained frozen after hearing the door close because that wasn't all I heard. It sounded as if No-Face had shut the door without exiting the room. Thankfully, I was mistaken and was once again alone.

I'm not unused to family members checking on me in the night (it comes with the diabetic territory), but usually they check and then leave, not check and linger. So, creepy.

Other topics I that had planned to discuss before my cord crapped out were as follows:
1. Baking with Pat;
2. Fantastic new films;
3. Awesome beach days;
4. And other things.

For this post, I'll eschew numbers 1, 2, and 4, and just finish things off with beachy, summer fun. Both this weekend and last was spent in the company of the gang at the beach in Goulais (pronounced GOO-lee). The water was warm and delectable. The wind was chilly last weekend, but it was much calmer this time around. Both excursions were highly successful. Last weekend, we spent the night in Goulais for Pat L's 23rd birthday extravaganza! I hadn't expected to spend the night, but it was way worth it (read: AWESOME!).

The whole day/night was rife with highlights, but for the purposes of expediency, I'll tell the top three stories of the party (in chronological order). When we arrived at the beach, there were many scattered, semi-formed structures built from the driftwood deposited along the shore. Mike, our de facto leader, took it upon himself to awesomize our sandy accommodations. He started building upon the sparse sticks and logs until we had a damn fine fort. It was very respectable, and shielded us from the surprisingly fierce wind (and the goddamn sun). It was even still standing when we returned a week later, thanks to Mike the Architect.

After an insanely fun and exhausting day, we went back to the chalet to eat, rest, and be hilarious. It would be impossible to describe our fun and hilarity since every group of friends has their own specific way of functioning, but when we woke up in the morning, two incidents stood out.

At 5am, I awoke to a very warm and quiet chalet. I have an unpredictable sleeping pattern and tend to wake up at random times. About 30 minutes after I woke up, the new Pat (Pat B) joined me in consciousness. He had to head back to town early for work so we talked for a few minutes out on the porch. It was his first time out at Joan's place and he wasn't sure which way to go to get back to the highway so I walked him to his car and gave him directions. Sometime in that 10 minute walk, someone had locked the door and I was thus stranded outside without a phone, a glucometer, or insulin. After walking around the whole house, checking every door, and even going across the road to Joan's parents house to see if anyone was up, I decided to just sit in the bug-tent (porch protected by mosquito netting) and wait for the gang to wake up.

There was a flaw in that plan: I lack an attention span. By 6am, I was bored as hell and getting a bit cold. I just wanted to go back to sleep for a few hours (which is about how long it would take the gang to wake up). At 7am, I finally got over my guilt at waking someone else and knocked on the sliding glass door until Shane let me in (THANK YOU, SHANE).

At 8:30, the rest of the gang woke up. I hadn't noticed anything odd about the sleeping arrangement, but apparently Shane was in the wrong place (on the couch across from the couch I was on). As it turns out, Pat L locked him out of the bedroom in the middle of the night while suffering a bout of paranoia, in which he was convinced that people were going to come into the bedroom to attack him. Shane was a very good sport about it, and we all had a good laugh.

This week at the beach: sun, fun, sand, water, cripplingly painful sunburn. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment